Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Shades of Purple

I first read The Color Purple when I was young mother. It was that one thing I could do for me while I was breast feeding my oldest daughter. I loved breast feeding it was the best thing that ever happened to me. It was a bonding that I don't think bottle feeding could ever emulate. But I digress..... Sorry. Now as a big girl all grown up with daughters married and bearing children of their own I watched The Color Purple on stage and was at times brought to tears, keeled over with laughter and filled with joy that I could witness this beautiful story with my beautiful little girl Becky, who isn't in any way aw little girl , but a woman and a mother. It's funny I still see her as my baby. I know she isn't , but my eyes still see her as a child. We had an amazing dinner before the play and I am still not quite sure what all we ate. However I think I should have been born Japanese cause that food was incredible. I just laughed and sat there as they brought us course after course of food I had never before seen or tasted and I savored every bite. I think it was the company; my little child/woman who was so excited to have a "Big girl" night out. We had drinks, we had dinner and we watched a beautiful story unfold. Sug tells Celie that God is everywhere even in The Color Purple and I think she is right. Some days the purple is washed out and it is only lavender and some days the purple is so intense it is almost red, but every day there is a shade of purple and Christ's hand has painted the day. I guess it is us who lightens and darkens the shade with our attitudes and actions. I think for this new year I will try my hardest to leave alone the perfect purple that the Lord sends down and try and live my life even and trusting the shade of grace given to me this day and the next. Because if God is truly in purple then maybe just maybe I need to rethink my view of that color. It may just be the most beautiful color in the box.

2 comments:

Hobby Mama said...

I had so much fun with you mama. Thank you.

MissEllen said...

Beautifully expressed. You are so lucky to have seen the play. I read the book in highschool and it remains a favorite to this day.
When I think about it, I also think about a song by Tears for Fears called "Woman in Chains"