Sunday, June 28, 2009

It Never Gets Old

The truth be told, it never gets old. To hear them cry their very first cry. To see their eyes when they see you the very first time. To hug them close and breathe them in. To feel the softness of their skin on yours. The list is infinite and yet it never becomes redundant. I never tire of, nor do I ever lose track of the miracle each tiny baby brings into our ever growing family. This time I had a first of my very own. A first that I still can't believe was mine, but it's true and it's so beautiful. I got to catch Hazel. No, she didn't fall no, the midwife didn't drop her. I got to reach down and slip her ever so gently from her mommy. I was the firsts person to touch her, I was the one to lay her on her mommy's tummy, I was the one to deliver her. The midwife asked me if I wanted to help. How could I say no? At first I was a little nervous, but as the time came closer all I could think of was having that quick bonding moment before handing her off. Heather, the midwife, didn't make me gown up or glove up for which I was grateful. I just got to reach down and slip her out skin on skin. I held her up and time skipped a beat at the beauty of the moment. Gifts come in so many forms and yet this one may have been one of the best gifts God has ever allowed me. I cannot wait until Hazel is old enough to sit on my lap and I can tell her that I was the one to help her out of her mommy's tummy and meet her first before anyone else. Thank you Lord, thank you Jazzie and Brian and thank you Hazel for giving me the best day ever!

2 comments:

Hobby Mama said...

It was so nice to meet you Hazel.

Annie said...

Congrats! :)